FLASH FICTION:-- HORROR, SCI-FI, HUMOUR, CRIME, SLICE OF LIFE, ETC.

Saturday 9 June 2012

The Kreativ Blogger Award



The lovely, and very talented lady Helen Howell who resides at HelenScribbles, has very kindly awarded me the KREATIV BLOGGER AWARD, thank you so much Helen, I am absolutely delighted to receive it.

Now, the conditions of accepting the award are that I must tell you 10 things about myself, and also I must pass the award on to other bloggers who's works I read and like.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Okay here goes..

1. I met my wife when I was 17, and we were married 5 years later, we recently celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary. My mum says our relationship is like a Mills and Boon novel.

2. In 1975 I began learning to play the guitar. Around 1977-ish, I played several times alongside a student named Justin Sullivan (with a couple of other guys, in the cellar of their rented house.)
Shortly after, Justin went on to become the front man for the band “New Model Army” which became very successful, and I believe they are still together now.

3. Although I passed my driving test at the age of 17, I didn't buy my first car until I was 34 years old.

4. When I was a teenager, a friend and I decided to hitch-hike to Blackpool for the weekend...
We ended up walking approximately 50 miles of the 75 miles back home. (Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

5. For the last 4 years at school, I achieved first place in my class at French, and metalwork.
In my first year of taking French I played the lead, main speaking role in a French spoken play that we performed in front of the whole school. (My French has long since gone into disuse, although I can still count very rapidly in the language.)

6. Although the films I am really into are such as the Alien quadrilogy, Resident evils, Predators, and the like, I absolutely love the film Shirley Valentine, and have watched it dozens of times.

7. Although I am pretty useless at cooking, I am quite capable of feeding myself should the need arise. But one time when my wife went on holiday for a week, to my shame (coupled with a love of fish and chips) I called to the fish and chip shop every single evening on my way home from work.

8. I was a very heavy smoker, and after what was probably thousands of failed attempts spread over about thirty years, I finally quit smoking on September 1st 2005, after reading the book by Allen Carr, “The easy way to stop smoking” which was a present that my wife bought for me.

9. I like ice cream... Very much.

10. Once I was the one to open our packet of Jaffa cakes, now there are usually 12 in a pack, 6 each. So I took my 6 out, and ate them while watching telly, later on my wife went for her Jaffa cakes only to discover that there was only 5 left, I do solemnly swear that I only took six out, we must have picked up the only packet in the universe that only contained 11 Jaffa cakes to begin with.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Choosing writers to pass the award on to is very difficult, there are so many talented writers on #fridayflash, and it is not easy to choose one over another, so I decided to pass the award on to the two ladies who were instrumental in my joining #fridayflash in the first place.

Rebecca Emin of Ramblings of a Rusty Writer.

And

Maria Protopapadaki-Smith of Mazzz in Leeds.

Way back in September 2010, both of these ladies encouraged me to post my stories on #fridayflash, their positive comments on my work gave me the confidence to submit my first one “A Zombie's Tale” which I posted on September 17th 2010, and I have enjoyed taking part each week ever since.

So I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Rebecca and Maria for introducing me to the wonderful community of the #fridayflash writers.

14 comments:

  1. Your 10 things are so much more interesting than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I had to struggle to come up with them, it's funny but writing fiction is easier than the simple task of putting together 10 real life events. :-)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the 10 facts about you Steve, and also yours Richard! I feel I know both of you just a little bit better now. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, I tried to mingle a few comical episodes of my life among the plain factual ones. You may have noticed that I have a penchant for fish and chips. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the award, Steve. Your 10 facts are really interesting. I remember those first emails - I was thinking about them the other day in fact, so this post really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, you are so very welcome, and fully deserving of the award, your writing is beautiful and imaginative.

      It is almost two years since those first emails, and it doesn't seem like two minutes ago, does it? Since then I have found a comfortable niche in the #fridayflash community, I enjoy the reading, commenting, and the banter between the writers, and enjoy seeing what my muse can come up with on a weekly basis. :-)

      Delete
    2. I am so glad you are enjoying #fridayflash, Steve. I'm really happy that you joined in with it and now feel as settled in the community as I do. Wonderful.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rebecca, #fridayflash is a very welcoming community of writers, and it didn't take long for me to feel like part of the furniture.

      Delete
  4. Aw, thanks Steve!
    almost 2 years ago, really?? Bloody fugiting tempus...
    Hmm, might take me a while to come up with 10 interesting things about myself. Well, the ones suitable for the public eye that is... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Maria, and you are very welcome too, I always liked your writing style, and did miss it for a long time, and I was really glad to see you posting on #fridayflash again recently.

      And yes 2 years, Tempus does indeed Fugit, does it not? (Heheh)
      I fully understand the difficulty in finding 10 things that people will find interesting, and also that are publishable, the unpublishable ones are usually infinitely more interesting, aren't they? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Cool list! Justin Sullivan's Navigating by the Stars is one of my favourite albums.

    Glad you're writing! Off to read the latest Friday flash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine.

      I had regular contact with Justin over a period of a year or so, he was quite a laid back guy, and I used to enjoy our jam sessions.
      I had no idea at the time that he was destined to become so famous.

      Delete
  6. *ponders how much Dad may pay me not to come up with another 10 things about him*

    Pack of Jaffa cakes? :P

    Also, you walked 50 miles? How long did that take you? I have never heard this tale before...

    Love ya :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Lou... Err, how much are you demanding? And I,ll swear they are all lies anyway.. Honest! :-)

      I was with John S. And we worked out the approximate mileage on the map, cos we knew where we had got the couple of lifts from and where we got dropped off, so the maths said approx 50 miles. It took us about 18 hours, but I was young and fit in those days... and a tad stupid too, I think. :-)

      Love ya right back. XXX.

      Delete