FLASH FICTION:-- HORROR, SCI-FI, HUMOUR, CRIME, SLICE OF LIFE, ETC.

Friday 16 July 2010

The birth of The Twisted Quill

My blog came into existence through an odd chain of events. For several years my wife and daughter had been members of a parenting forum called Bad Mothers Club, which had, by association, become a part of my life too.
(Parenting forum is a very loose description for BMC, as the membership consists of people of all ages, from all walks of life, and covers just about every subject under the sun.)

Late in 2009 when I finally decided to get my own laptop I joined the forum myself, and started to post on it occasionally. ( Dads were also allowed, though pretty thin on the ground )

One Saturday night in July 2010, I was reading through the posts on there, and Nickie, a gifted authoress and blogger was asking for people to do guest posts for her blog while she was on holiday.

Now, being a frequent reader of Nickie's blog Typecast , and made very brave by the wine, I put my name forward, without really thinking what I was doing, I just felt that I wanted to be a part of this.

The next morning, I sat looking at my keyboard feeling slightly hungover, and more than a tad panicky, coming up with, and discarding ideas one after another.

Well, from somewhere in my wine-fuddled brain came the worm of an idea.....
I began to type, and two hours later I had the finished version of ROAD RAGE.

The more I looked at ROAD RAGE, the more I became convinced that it wasn't a half bad effort.

I sent it to Nickie, who aired it on Typecast ten days later.

I had been bitten by the bug in a big way, I had found something that I was really enjoying doing, and during those ten days whilst I was waiting for my first attempt to appear on Typecast I wrote GUILTY PARTY, partly wrote HUNTED, laid out the bare bones for AN UNTIMELY THEFT, and set the ideas brewing for IMMACULATE CONCEPTION and A BURGLAR'S TALE.

My daughter, a talented authoress and poet who has her own blog called Defective Tykewriter, had tried to prod me in the blog direction on more than one occasion, but up until now I had always refused. I think fear of failure, and lack of confidence played a large part.

The positive feedback I got when ROAD RAGE was aired tipped the scales, and two days later I set about putting the blog together.

I have always had a great liking for short stories with a twist in the tail, and this is the kind of thing I wanted to write, and so THE TWISTED QUILL was born.

I don't profess to being a good writer, and I don't profess my stories to be good, or bad, I leave that to the reader to decide, I am just doing something that I am enjoying doing, and shall continue to do so for as long as the enjoyment is there.


It is my hope that my stories give enjoyment, interest, and entertainment to anyone who reads them.

Any feedback, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Steve Green.


©2010 Stephen. J. Green.

2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you decided to start the blog. i look forward to all your twisted stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!!

    I am liking the description of me as "talented and gifted" but slightly worried as that is now the label they give to the kids they can't pigeonhole at school these days ;) LOL

    Looking forward to your work, Steve.

    ReplyDelete